Our team are made up of senior industry professionals with many years of experience working in fields such as law, investment banking, risk management, portfolio management, asset management and compliance. Having worked in roles for leading financial organisations in regions such as Asia (including Japan), North America, Europe and the United Kingdom our team provides a global understanding of the fund and corporate services industry when providing solutions to our clients.
As independent fund directors, each team member provides unique expertise to the oversight of the boards we act on.
In July 2012, David founded the Bell Rock Group, a Cayman Islands firm licensed and regulated by CIMA. Bell Rock is a specialised provider of independent director services to hedge funds, hybrid funds, long-only funds, infrastructure funds, real estate, special situation and private equity funds. He has over 17 years of industry experience and has been providing independent director services for seven years to Cayman fund and investment management companies with some of the leading asset managers in the industry. Prior to founding Bell Rock, he was a professional independent director to a range of hedge funds, investment management companies and private equity funds in Cayman working for a leading offshore management services firm. He was formerly a director at Citigroup investment bank in London developing and structuring multi-asset investment funds and acting as investment adviser to a range of funds, a former member of the Citi Global Management Senior Risk Committee and formerly senior counsel advising on all aspects of multi asset and multi-strategy funds. He was formerly at BNP Paribas, Credit Suisse and SunGard Global Trading. David holds a MBA in Finance and Banking from the University of London, is a Chartered MCSI with the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI), holds the Investment Management Certificate with the CISI, an Accredited Director (Acc.Dir), Member of the Institute of Directors (UK), Called to the Bar of England & Wales, LLB Law Degree from the University of Wales, Fellowship Member of the International Bar Association, the ACI Financial Markets Association and a member of the Investment Management Due Diligence Association (IMDDA), Member of the Blockchain Council, Certified Blockchain Expert and Certified Cryptocurrency Expert. David is registered with CIMA as a director under the Director Registration & Licensing Law 2014.
- Global Macro FX Strategy Fund for an emerging manager with US$250m of initial investor capital
- Emerging Markets Debt Fund focused on emerging markets liquid securities
- Long/Short Equity Fund focused on Asian markets
- Agriculture Investment Fund focused on strategic value investments
- Representing various funds employing strategies of acquisition, development, repositioning, refurbishment and active management of real estate and real estate-related investments across Europe, as well as investing in European non-performing loans and other credit related securities.
- Representing a fund investing in long/short equity, sponsored by value-oriented hedge fund manager with approximately $2.1 billion assets under management.
- Representing a private investment fund employing arbitrage and relative value strategy, investing in public equity, fixed income, and alternative investments markets across the globe.
- Representing various private investment funds focused on distressed assets, retail, healthcare, agriculture, technology investments
- Representing several investment funds with strategies focused on Fintech, blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Representing umbrella fund platform for UK asset manager offering multi-asset and hybrid investment strategies.
- Representing hedge fund focused on structured credit and mortgage-back-securities for asset manager with $6bn of capital
- Representing hedge fund focused on debt, equity and FX investments with a Singapore manager and investors across Asia.
- Representing fund-of-hedge fund structures investing with various portfolio managers employing diverse strategies including long/short equity strategies and event-driven strategies.
- Representing hedge fund focused on commodity investments, both physical and derivative securities for UK asset manager.
Evan joined Bell Rock in September 2013, and provides non-executive independent director services for hedge funds, investment management companies, traditional long-only funds, and segregated portfolio companies. Evan’s career spans over 25 years in asset management where he has served in a number of senior asset management positions with Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, and most recently, Shinsei Bank. Evan brings a wealth of experience in international markets with over 20 years spent in Asia. Extensive business interactions in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mumbai have provided him an easy familiarity with cross-cultural business environments. He speaks fluent Japanese. Early in his career, Evan managed global bond and currency portfolios for institutional investors in New York. From there, he spent a number of years in Tokyo where he worked to establish numerous Cayman based investment vehicles and customized hedge fund portfolios for Japanese investors. With Shinsei Bank, Evan was the head of overseas operations for the asset management group where he oversaw the successful establishment of a joint venture and two affiliated asset management companies, obtaining both a Mutual Fund License from the Securities Exchange Board of India, and a Fund Management CMS License from the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Evan’s considerable expertise in portfolio management, fund governance, structuring, and operations has allowed him to serve on numerous boards in both executive and independent director capacities.He holds a B.A. degree (cum laude) in Economics, University of Texas, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation, 1991, Member of the CFA Institute, CFA Society of San Francisco, Advisory Board, Tokyo Hedge Funds Club, 2005-2008, Member of the California Hedge Fund Association
Jeffrey Shaul has over 27 years of investment industry experience, including senior executive positions with major Canadian firms in such areas as securities underwriting, mergers and acquisitions and asset managment. Prior to founding Robson Capital Management Inc. (”Robson”) in 2003, Jeffrey assisted in building a funds management business from inception to $285 million, including a private equity fund-of-funds managed on behalf of Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB). With this broad-based investment industry background, Jeffrey has an in depth understanding of key issues such as fund structuring, investment strategies, counter-party risk management, valuation practices, investment risk management and operational risks. His experience is particularly relevant to boards of hedge funds where there are complex valuation and risk assessment issues. Jeffrey has held hedge fund oversight roles with a number of funds, including the CPPIB fund-of-funds, the Robson Van Eck Hard Assets Fund and the Robson Everest Global Fund. Jeffrey practised law in the general corporate practice group at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt in Toronto, prior to his career in investment banking and asset management with major Canadian investment firms including Scotia Capital and TD Securities. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the CFA Institute and Toronto CFA Society and is a Fellow of the Canadian Securities Institute. Jeffrey was a member of the Sales Practices Committee of AIMA Canada from November 2006 to May 2009, and has appeared on BNN (Business News Network) as a commentator on the hedge fund industry. He is also Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Niagara Institutional Dialogue, the premier annual forum for interactive dialogue among senior executives of Canada’s foremost institutional investors. Jeffrey is registered by CIMA as a director.